Role of the City Attorney
The City Attorney supports the City Council and City organization with legal advice and services. The City Attorney, whose services are retained by the City through a contract relationship, is responsible for the following services.
- Providing legal advice and information to the Council and staff;
- Preparing legislation and legal documents;
- Reviewing contracts, leases and agreements;
- Providing legal defense for the City in a manner that minimizes City liability and exposure;
- Providing legal advice to the City Council, City Manager, Departments, Boards and Commissions;
- Supporting staff in enforcing community standards and codes fairly; and
- Managing the City's litigation.