El Cerrito Passport Acceptance Facility Information
The City Council has declared a local emergency due to COVID-19; therefore, Passport Services are suspended until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding. Please see Travel.State.Gov or call 1-877-487-2778 for passport assistance.
The El Cerrito City Clerk’s Office is designated as an authorized United States Passport Acceptance Facility and is now accepting applications for passport books and the passport card. We will accept your application for a passport and forward all forms and documents to the U.S. Department of State, where your passport will be processed. First-time applicants and minors must apply in person.
For children (under 16)
Two (2) parent consent is required for all children and original certified birth certificate of the children must be submitted including renewals. Children who are applying for passports must be present including infants. (both parents are required to appear with children up to age 16). Use Form DS-11 .
Age 16 and 17
You must apply in person using Form DS-11 and accompany by one parent or show parental awareness. Please call 510-215-4371 or visit Applicants Age 16 and 17 on Travel.State.Gov website for specific instructions.
For adult renewals (adults over the age of 18):
You can renew by mail without appearing in person by using if your most recent passport:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)
If any of the above statements does not apply to you, you must apply in person using form DS-11. Visit Travel.State.Gov for more information on applications and passport policies, and to check application status.What you need to bring when applying in person:
- Passport application (application should be unsigned) - Form DS-11.
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship - such as one of the following:
- Original certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state (no photocopies). Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s).
- Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Original Naturalization Certificate
- Original Certificate of Citizenship
- Original expired U.S. passport
- Personal photo identification (driver's license, passport, school ID)
- Photocopy of photo identification (front and back)
- Current passport if applicable
- One 2 x 2 color passport photo
- Supporting documents in regard to name change, adoption, assumed name, sole custody of a minor, or legal guardianship of a minor
- Passport application fee (payable by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State) Click here for Fee Table.
- City of El Cerrito execution fee of $35 (payable by credit card, debit card, cash, or check)