HRC Student Commissioner
El Cerrito Human Relations Commission
The Human Relations Commission (HRC) develops positive human relations through education, encouragement of greater respect and understanding between people, equal opportunity rights under the law, and the recognition of the racial, ethnic, religious and cultural diversity of the El Cerrito community.
Student Commissioner Opportunity
This program was conceived by the members of the HRC to encourage young people to participate in City governance
processes, as well as to promote leadership and diversity among El Cerrito High School students and the greater El Cerrito
The Student Commissioner Experience
Recruitment for the Student Commissioner will begin at the beginning of the school year. Student Commissioners are expected to serve throughout the school year, by attending a monthly HRC meeting. Currently the HRC meets the first Wednesday of each month, at City Hall. Student Commissioner activities will vary depending on the needs of the HRC, and the skills set and interests of the Student Commissioner.
During the Student Commissioner experience, the Student Commissioner will work on projects and tasks that are jointly
chosen, partake in enrichment activities, and meet talented professionals who have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share. There may also be opportunities to attend other human relations educational excursions and events that will provide additional insights into the functioning of the HRC and the City of El Cerrito.
During the last HRC meeting of the school year, the Student Commissioner will give a presentation to the HRC, explaining the role of the HRC within the El Cerrito community, as well as a summary of the projects, skills, and knowledge that have been gained from this experience.
In appreciation for his or her service, the Student Commissioner will receive a letter of recommendation from the City of
El Cerrito Human Relations Commission.
Examples of Typical Tasks:
- Assist in the outreach and promotional activities for HRC sponsored community events
- Assist Commissioners in making pertinent presentations to the El Cerrito City Council
- Actively participate in the planning, development, and promotion of the annual City of El Cerrito Dr. Martin Luther King event
- Serve as a student liaison between the HRC and the El Cerrito High School Leadership Council
Student Qualification Requirements
- Proficient oral and written communication skills
- An eagerness to learn something new and challenging
- Willingness to promote the vision and the practices of the El Cerrito Human Relations Commission
- Seeks an opportunity to further develop leadership skills, as well as gain a deeper knowledge of City governance processes
- Complete an EC HRC Student Commissioner application.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher, principal, counselor, religious leader, or employer.
- Participate in an interview with an EC City representative, EC HRC Chair, and fellow commissioners.
For more information, please contact the HRC Staff Liaison Kristen Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 215-4304.