Call to Poets
Poet Laureate - Call to Poets
The Arts and Culture Commission is accepting proposals for the City's third Poet Laureate from October 5, 2020 to November 19, 2020. The expected term will be from February 1, 2021 – January 31, 2023.
Please see the Poet Laureate Request for Proposals ("RFP") for more details. Deadline is November 19, 2020 by 4 p.m.
Poet Laureate Program Goals
The Arts and Culture Commission (ACC) established the Poet Laureate Program with funding from the City’s Arts in Public Places Program. As envisioned by the ACC, the City’s poet laureate will encourage the poetic energy of the El Cerrito community.
The poet laureate will perform two public readings and develop and lead three community events during each year of the two-year term.
The laureate will create and lead activities that inspire writing and performances of poetry among all age groups while initiating a dialogue between local poets, cultural organizations, and community institutions.
The laureate will promote literature and the arts in the city, bring attention to poetry in less traditional settings, and encourage residents in their writing and personal expression.
The laureate will receive a stipend of $4,000 for the two-year term.
The poet laureate must:
- Be a resident of El Cerrito or work full-time in the City
- Demonstrate a commitment to poetry writing, spoken word performance, and community involvement and outreach
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be able to serve the full two-year term as laureate
- Application Form
- Letter of Interest
- Examples of Original Work - published, self-published or unpublished work
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume