Community Development Department
Please note that City Hall is now open to the public with modified hours. Please visit www.el-cerrito.org/permitcounter for more information.
The mission of the Community Development Department is to deliver services, projects and programs that provide a safe, connected, environmentally-focused and high quality of life in El Cerrito. The Department achieves this mission through planning and implementing programs and private and public development projects that promote community, environmental quality and
Department OverviewThe Community Development Department provides the community with innovative and practical solutions to enhance a prosperous, healthy and sustainable city through the following divisions and programs:
- Affordable Housing: high quality affordable housing development; affordable housing opportunities; housing policy and programs.
- Building: plan review and inspection services; community outreach and education; enforcement of State building regulations.
- Code Enforcement: ensure that building and zoning ordinances are followed by responding to citizen complaints and proactively investigating violations.
- Economic Development: development services; job creation; private investment and small business support.
- Planning: development review process; City codes, plans and regulations; long-range planning efforts.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS – DUE OCTOBER 28, 2021
The City of El Cerrito is requesting proposals from qualified engineers/consultants to complete an inventory and analysis of soft story residential buildings and develop program recommendations. Click here to download the RFP. Questions should be directed Aissia Ashoori, Housing Analyst, email@example.com.
New COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FEESEffective July 1, 2021, a New City-wide Master Fee Schedule went into effect. The 2021-22 Master Fee Schedule may be found .
All Planning and Building Permit fees for Accessory Dwelling Units are discounted by 50%!
And, further discounted 5% more if the design implements Universal Design Elements!
In addition, all Building Permit fees for multiple Electric Vehicle Commercial Charging Stations are being subsidized by the City of El Cerrito to encourage and facilitate their numbers growing, citywide.