- Your Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Arts & Culture Commission
- Call for Artist in Residence
Call for Artist in Residence
El Cerrito Creative ReUse (ECCRU) Artist Residency Program
The purpose of the program is to support local artists who work with recycled materials, and to encourage environmental stewardship – specifically resource conservation, recycling and upcycling – in the community through art that inspires people to think about sustainability and consumption.
The El Cerrito Creative ReUse (“ECCRU”) Artist Residency provides the artist with: a stipend, access to materials at the RERC for use in artistic projects, an on-site storage bin for materials, and support for an exhibition at the end of the residency. Artwork will be created in the artist’s own workspace, which is not provided. We encourage artists working in all mediums to apply, including but not limited to, painters, textile artists, musicians, performers, photographers, printmakers, those working in film and video, and conceptual and installation artists.Application Requirements
The City requires that all submissions be provided in electronic format only.
The ECCRU Artist must:
- Be either a resident of or work in Contra Costa or Alameda County
- Be at least 18 years old
- Demonstrate a commitment to upcycling and creative reuse
- Artists should visit the the RERC before applying. Due to COVID-19, a formal tour is not available, although one will be provided before the residency begins.
- Artists must demonstrate that creation of the artwork will be conducted in a safe workspace with the proper tools required for the chosen mediums. If deemed appropriate, the Artist must conduct a site visit to their workspace as part of the interview process.
Length of Term
The ECCRU Artist Residency is a nine-month term. However, at the discretion of the El Cerrito Arts and Culture Commission (“ACC” or “Commission”), the term is negotiable up to 12 months.
The Artist will receive a stipend of $100 per month of the nine-month residency.
All questions regarding the ECCRU program are to be directed to Alexandra Orologas, Assistant City Manager, City of El Cerrito, 10890 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito, CA 94530. (510) 215-4302. Email: email@example.com