The El Cerrito Swim Center is hiring for Lifeguards! Lifeguards are needed immediately for the following shifts:
- 8am-4pm (varying shifts within that time frame, for example 8am-12:15pm and 12:15pm-4pm)
- Closing shift 7pm-10pm
- Typically 15-20 hours per week
Questions? Please contact Assistant Recreation Supervisor Shannon Lundberg at SLundber@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us.
Apply online now: www.el-cerrito.org/jobs
This is Why you really need to be a lifeguard at the El Cerrito Swim Center this Summer!
real world skills
Whether you want to be a doctor, teacher, firefighter, or have no idea what your future looks like, Lifeguarding is a great place to start! Real world skills such as communication, teamwork, critical thinking, and problem solving that will translate not only in college applications, but future careers.
Training and certification
All of the certifications acquired while working are yours to keep, including Lifeguarding, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, and First Aid. There is also training on different skills such as how to teach young children, customer service, and time management.
These past few years have taken a toll on all of us. As a Lifeguard, you get to work as a team. A team that cares and supports each other, the pool, and the community. Be part of a team that encourages working together.
Who wouldn’t want to spend their summer at the pool? It’s a great place to work where you can meet new people and make life-long friends. Plus, you get free entry to swim whenever you want.
Get Some great resume experience:
- Lifeguard and monitor up to nine activities with over 450 patrons daily, ensuring the health and safety of each patron and preventing accidents.
- Teach and coach a variety of ages in swimming, developing patron’s skills to feel comfortable and confident in the water while instructing them on the mechanics of swimming and diving.
- Provide customer service to community members including answering questions, registering customers for programs, and enforcing pool policies and procedures in a calm and courteous manner.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Ability to obtain the Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, and Administering Emergency Oxygen (not necessary to apply)
- An In-Water Assessment will be given to all applicants, consisting of:
- 500-yard swim. Within the 500 yards, you must attempt to swim each of the 6 strokes: Freestyle, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly, Sidestroke and Elementary Backstroke (if there is a stroke you do not know, make your best attempt). The remaining 350 yards will be either Freestyle or Breaststroke with rhythmic breathing and no stopping.
- 2 minutes of treading water with no hands.
- Retrieve a 10-pound brick from 13-feet of water.
Follow these steps to apply:
- Apply online at at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/elcerrito
- No certification needed to apply!
- Once application is received, you will be contacted via email for an interview
- Take a Lifeguarding Certification class offered by El Cerrito Swim Center. If you are hired, you will get a list of the classes available, and you pay only for the cost of the certification, $50 (class is normally $200)