Solid Waste & Recycling Programs
Among the solid waste and recycling collection services provided to El Cerrito residents are:
- Weekly curbside collection services:
- Weekly collection of recycling (grey container)
- Weekly collection of green waste, including food scraps (green container)
- Weekly collection of garbage (blue container)
- FREE “special pickup” services for seniors and the disabled with a medical issue. Doctor's note required.
- Drop-off and other collection services:
- Convenient and free drop-off recycling of a wide range of materials at the El Cerrito Recycling Center
- FREE curbside, one time Annual Clean-up of extra materials: recyclables, green waste, and garbage (Please call to make advanced arrangements.)
- Free drop-off of Household Hazardous Waste at WCC HHW Facility in Richmond
- Free curbside collection of HHW for seniors and the disabled
- Semi-annual citywide garage sales
Notice of Changes in Recycling Programs
Due to disruptions in the international recycling markets, the City will be making periodic changes in its recycling programs. Read more the latest updates to the recycling programs.
Rates and Fees
All of these services are provided for via rates charged to all homes and businesses for the collection of solid waste. For details on the rates, see our rates page. Some fees for services at the Recycling and Environmental Resource Center may apply.
Download the Master Fee Schedule (PDF) for the Recycling + Environmental Resource Center (PDF) and review item # 5 for a list of these fees.
Curbside collection occurs on all holidays except Christmas Day and New Year's Day. If those holidays fall on a regular collection day, then collection for that day and all following days in that week will occur one day later than usual.
The Recycling Center and Offices are closed the following holidays:
New Year's Day, Dr. MLK Jr. Birthday, Presidents' Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day (and the day after), Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, and starting at Noon on New Year's Eve Day.
View an archive of the Operations and Environmental Services Division's Newsletters, both the Residential and Commercial editions. These newsletters provide helpful hints and best practices for using our solid waste and recycling services.