Drop-Off Materials Accepted
Cardboard, Glass, Metals, Paper, Plastic:
- Cardboard: boxes must be broken down and flattened
- Glass Containers: bottles and jars rinsed clean and sorted by color
- Hard Plastics: empty, clean, dry plastic containers, furniture, pipe, toys, etc.
- Mixed Paper: colored paper, cereal boxes, newspaper, shredded colored paper, file folders, junk mail, envelopes, photographs, etc.
- Plastic Beverage Containers: clean plastics, all #s
- Plastic Chemical Bottles: plastics that contained chemicals, oils etc., must be empty, that is, no residual product inside.
- Plastic Film: all flexible plastics, all must be clean and dry. Examples include: grocery bags, bread bags, cling wrap, bubble wrap, non-rigid plastics.
- Scrap Metals: Aluminum, Steel, Tin. Examples include: cast Iron; large appliances: washers, dryers, stoves, and hot water heaters. (NO refrigerators or air conditioners)
- White Office Paper: all white (bond) paper - collected in a separate container to preserve highest value
New Policy: Due to changes in global recycling markets, the only materials eligible for electronics (e-waste) recycling are TVs (no DLP), computer monitors, CD and DVD players, PDAs, telephones, audio equipment (no wooden speakers), and items which contain circuit boards. Please do not place other types of household appliances (air filters, electric blankets, etc.) in the E-waste Bin. Questions? Please ask office staff.
Hard to Recycle Items:
- Automobile Batteries: lead-acid cell.
- Batteries: Alkaline, NiCad, lithium, and auto batteries.
- Bicycles: Bicycle and bicycle parts - bin for donations / exchange. No Salvage Permit necessary.
- Books: bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Cartons (all varieties except tetra packs) must be rinsed. They are pulped for their paper fibers.
- Corks: bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Electric Appliances: Examples: hair dryer, bread machine, coffee maker, vacuum cleaner, electric mower, table lamp, etc.) Put in Metal or Hard Plastic recycling bin, depending on whether item is predominantly metal or plastic. Wooden speakers cannot be taken. Questions? Please ask office staff.
- Exercise equipment: scrap metal.
- Eyeglasses: Lions Club Donations - bring eye wear into the office to donate to this program.
- Fluorescent tubes and CFLs: are part of the Contra Costa County Household Hazardous Waste Program. As a convenience, we accept CFLs from residents within the Recyclemore service area. Fees apply for large quantities: 30 feet or more of tubes or 15 or more bulbs. Fees are subject to increase each fiscal year. Please see office staff to pay fees or to ask questions.
- Food Donation: non-perishable, unopened donations for the Contra Costa Food Bank, within a year of listed date accepted. No glass containers.
- Hangers: all types of clothes hangers, bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Home Health Equipment: no longer available until a replacement organization is identified.
- Sharps and Syringes: must be in a thick plastic container with a screw top lid. Bin always locked seek staff for assistance (office and/or yard).
- Pharmaceuticals: remove excess packaging; empty pills into Ziploc-type bag for disposal; mix pills together. Liquids, creams, inhalers do not need to be bagged. Check online for more information on how to use the disposal bin and a list of EBMUD and BayWise disposal sites. Recyclemore.com has additional drop-off locations. Bin always locked; seek staff for assistance (office and/or yard).
- Packaging for Reuse: flattened cardboard boxes ONLY, no peanuts (take to UPS or FedEx).
- Plate glass: no longer accepted as of March 7, 2016.
- "Styrofoam": ONLY white block polystyrene foam (sometimes marked with a # 6) - no food containers, no peanuts, no other types of foam, and no saran wrapping material.
- Textiles: clean clothing, scrap shoes and all textiles can be bagged and placed in the USagain green and white bins. Including: pillows, towels, sheets, and machine washable rugs.
- Toner Cartridges: place in E-waste Bin
- Used cooking oil: NO SOLID GREASE (please compost solids)
- Used motor oil and filters: 5-gallon container maximum