Drop-Off Materials Accepted
* As of november 23rd, 2019: We are currently not accepting styrofoam as our styrofoam processing equipment is down for repairs. we will resume collection of styrofoam once the machinery is back in working order. *
Cardboard, Glass, Metals, Paper, Plastic:
- Cardboard: Corrugated boxes. Must be clean, empty and flattened. (FYI: Fees apply to salvage cardboard. Please ask office staff directly. Thank you.)
- Glass Containers: Bottles and jars, rinsed clean and sorted by color.
- Mixed Paper: colored paper, cereal boxes, newspaper, shredded colored paper, file folders, junk mail, envelopes, photographs, etc.
- Plastic Beverage Containers: Narrow-neck plastic beverage bottles, free of liquid.
- Other Plastic Bottles: Narrow-neck bottles that contained household supplies, such as detergent, kitty litter, motor oil. Must be empty. That is, no residual product inside.
- Scrap Metals: Aluminum, Steel, Tin. (NO refrigerators or air conditioners) As of 11/1/19: Due to recent changes in the recycling markets, we cannot currently accept major Appliances. City Staff is looking into options that would allow the Recycling Center to again provide this service.
- White Office Paper: All white (bond) paper - collected in a separate container to preserve highest value
NEW POLICY: Due to changes in global recycling markets, the only materials currently eligible for electronics (e-waste) recycling are:
- Cable Boxes
- Cameras + Video Equipment
- Cell Phones + Chargers
- Computer Components such as: Memory, Hard Drives, Disk Drives
- Computer Monitors
- Computer Systems
- Console Video Games
- Data Tapes + Disks
- Fax Machines
- GPS Systems
- Green Board / PC Cards
- Hard Drives + Memory
- Internet Devices
- Laptop Computers
- LCD TVs + Monitors
- Smartphones + PDAs
- Telephones + Telephone Systems + Related Equipment
- Televisions (all sizes)
- Toner / Laser / Inkjet Cartridges (OEM Only)
- Video Game Consoles + Software
- Wiring + Cables
Please do not place other types of household appliances (air filters, electric blankets, etc.) in the E-waste Bin. At this time, the Center does not accept predominantly plastic electric appliances or major appliances. Questions? Please ask office staff.
difficult to Recycle Items:
- Automobile Batteries: lead-acid cell.
- Batteries: Alkaline, NiCad, lithium, and auto batteries.
- Bicycles: Bicycle and bicycle parts - bin for donations / exchange. No Salvage Permit necessary.
- Books: Bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Corks: Bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Exercise equipment: Scrap metal.
- Eyeglasses: Lions Club Donations - bring eye wear into the office to donate to this program.
- Fluorescent tubes and CFLs: are part of the Contra Costa County Household Hazardous Waste Program. As a convenience, we accept CFLs from residents within the RecycleMore service area. Fees apply for large quantities: 30 feet or more of tubes or 15 or more bulbs. Fees apply to any fluorescent bulbs from customers outside the RecycleMore service area. Fees are subject to increase each fiscal year. Please see office staff to pay fees or to ask questions.
- Food Donation: Non-perishable, unopened donations for the Contra Costa Food Bank, within a year of listed date accepted. No glass containers.
- Hangers: All types of clothes hangers; bring to the Exchange Zone.
- Home Health Equipment: Ask office staff for resources.
- Sharps and Syringes: Must be in a thick plastic container with a screw top lid. Bin always locked so seek staff for assistance (office and/or yard). Fees apply for customers from outside the RecycleMore service area.
- Pharmaceuticals: Remove excess packaging; empty pills into Ziploc-type bag for disposal; mix pills together. Liquids, creams, inhalers do not need to be bagged. Check online for more information on how to use the disposal bin and a list of EBMUD and BayWise disposal sites. Recyclemore.com has additional drop-off locations. Bin always locked; seek staff for assistance (office and/or yard). Fees apply for customers from outside the RecycleMore service area.
- "Styrofoam": ONLY white block polystyrene foam (sometimes marked with a # 6) - no food containers, no peanuts, no other types of foam, and no saran wrapping material. Fees apply for customers from outside El Cerrito.
- Textiles: Clothing, shoes, and household linens in clean, dry, reusable condition can be donated to the Donation Station, receipts available, or are accepted in the USagain green and white bins. Including: pillows, towels, sheets, and machine washable rugs.
- Toner Cartridges: Place in E-waste Bin
- Used cooking oil: NO SOLID GREASE (please compost solids)
- Used motor oil and metal filters: 5-gallon container maximum