Preparing for the Rainy Season
ContactIf you have any questions or need additional assistance regarding rainy season preparation, please contact the Maintenance Services Division at (510) 215-4369 or by . If there is an emergency and City offices are closed, please contact Police Dispatch at (510) 237-3233.
Prepare for Emergencies
- Plan ahead in case you are stuck at home, can't reach your home, or lose power during a winter storm.
- Get your household emergency supplies in order. Plan for food, water, medical, and personal comfort needs for everyone in your house, and don't forget about any pets. Be prepared for prolonged power outages with flashlights, a battery-operated radio, and extra fresh batteries.
- Make a family plan about how to stay in contact if you are separated.
- Get helpful emergency preparedness tips and templates that you can use today from FEMA's Ready.gov website.
- Consider taking a El Cerrito training to better prepare yourself in the future.
Know Your Flood Risk and Learn Flood Warning Levels
- Understand your risks, then reduce them before the heavy rains start. For more information about flooding and landslide hazards that may exist in your neighborhood, visit the California Emergency Management Agency's MyHazards website. Purchase flood insurance if you are in a susceptible area.
- Knowing how to forecast flooding will help you to prepare. Rainfall criteria can help warn us when flooding is more likely to occur. Learn about Flood Forecasting at the Contra Costa County website.